Sunday, April 8, 2012

From Spam to Scam, Text Message "Marketing"


Recently I began receiving oddball text messages from 452-44.  Odd messages such as "A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours", "IQ Power: Welcome to Trivia Alerts!  3xmsgs/wk Monthly charge billed.." and " Frogs cannot swallow without blinking".  With all the text messages I typically get, I ignored the first couple but finally noticed the stream.  Some research on the net showed that scammers are now capturing your cellphone number online, auto-billing you for unknown services.  A quick check of my iPhone bill showed the $9.99 charge and I knew for sure I was being scammed since I had never signed up for any text services. 


Given the nature of this thievery, I had no interest in trying to contact this organization to stop the charge.  Apparently their website re-directs to a password protected site and any calls are fruitless, you either get hung up on or validation that you will be charged AGAIN.  No need to play by the rules when dealing with crooks.  Calling up AT&T, I had the charge reversed and put a block on my account for text purchases. And further research showed that the common denominator may be Vistaprint, a printing service that provides free business cards.  But I am just totally amazed how easy it was to scam me for $9.99, very hard to pick it up since my cellphone billing is primarily done online and electronically.  




But it also made me think about the future of text-message advertising and marketing which is in its infancy.  When one of your first experiences with text-message marketing is a scam, do you start to distrust the medium?  I mean email survived all the Nigerian prince scams but those were plainly criminal and no money was lost without interaction.  In this text-message case, I've lost $10 just due to the fact I didn't pay close enough attention to my texts and my electronic billing.  


All I know is that companies who are at the early wave of text-message marketing really need to make sure these rogue companies and communication legislation with regards to e-commerce and texting are handled properly.  Because without trust and credibility, these thieves can taint the entire industry.  And while I don't think these scammers are common, one bad experience has made my cellphone off-limits to future purchases.  I recently read an article about how your cellphone number is your most guarded piece of information after your social-security number. After this experience, I'd have to say I totally agree!  

4 comments:

  1. This same thing happened to me - same charge on my bill, same weird text message. Thank you for posting. AT&T was very helpful, and did the same thing for me. She said it is a growing problem because they cannot stop people from texting you, and with these text messages, it just goes straight onto your bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to resolve the issue with AT&T! And yes, I posted the information up to try and help others since I figured I wouldn't be alone with this issue...

    ReplyDelete
  3. After calling AT&T myself, I was told it neither charged my account or anything similar. He simply said to reply STOP, and it seems to have worked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but good topic. I need to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic info I was looking for this information for my mission.

    Text Message Marketing

    ReplyDelete